This fast, healthy, and delicious seared tuna dish comes together in one pan and is ready in less than 30 minutes. Serve with a mixture of seasoned cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion for a light and refreshing meal.
Tip: It can be tricky to select healthy and environmentally sustainable seafood options at the grocery store. Check out SeafoodWatch.org to find options you can feel good about serving.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-18 minutes
3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 6-oz. sushi-grade tuna steaks, approximately 3/4” thick
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
¼ c. dry white wine
½ c. chicken broth
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 organic lemon, sliced thin
3 T. capers, drained
- Heat two tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tuna steaks to hot skillet and cook for approximately 2 minutes for rare (add one minute per side for medium).
- Flip tuna and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook for another 2-3 minute, depending on desired level of doneness (is that even a word!). Transfer tuna steaks to a plate and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Keep warm.
- Add remaining olive oil and chopped shallots to skillet, Sauté, stirring occasionally, until shallots are soft and start to turn golden brown, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add white wine, chicken broth, lemon juice, and lemon slices to skillet. Deglaze pan by scraping up any brown bits from the bottom with a spatula. Cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Reduce heat to medium and add capers. Stir to combine and cook for another minute or until heated through.
Transfer the tuna steaks onto individual serving plates and top with a “melted” lemon slice and a spoonful of the lemon-caper sauce and serve immediately with your favourite sides. Enjoy!